5 Ways to Enroll in the New York State Donate Life Registry
Every day more and more people are making the decision to enroll in the New York State Donate Life Registry. By signing up, you are making a heroic and potentially life-saving decision.
By enrolling in the registry, you are giving legal consent to donate organs and tissues. This is an important and vital step to go on record officially as a donor. Even if you carry a donor card, you should join the Donate Life Registry.
You may join the registry in five different ways, whichever is more convenient for you:
- Sign up at the DMV office when you go there to apply for (or to renew) your driver’s license or non-driver ID.
- Enroll online if you have a New York driver’s license or non-driver ID card by creating a MyDMV account on the New York State DMV website.
- Download a form online , complete and sign it, and mail it in. This form is available on the New York State Department of Health’s website.
- Download this Donor Registry PDF form, fill it in, sign and mail it to the York State Department of Health.
- Request that a donor registry form be mailed to you. You can do so by contacting Amy James at Finger Lakes Donor Recovery Network. Email Amy James (Amy_Jamesurmcrochesteredu) or call her on 585-272-4930.
Have questions? Check out this Donor Registry Q&A
Did you know? You can also enroll when you register to vote in New York State. (PDF)
Not from New York? Then visit Donate Life America to find your state’s donor registry.
Inform your family and friends
Once you enroll in the New York State Donate Life Registry, it’s essential you tell family members and those close to you about your organ donation decision. There should be no question in their minds about your decision. Here are some quick ways to let them know you enrolled in the registry:
- Have a dinner table discussion. Tell your family members that you want to give the gift of life.
- Post your decision and like us on our Facebook page and your Facebook page. Provide a link to our website at www.donorrecovery.org.
- Tweet about it. If you have a following on Twitter, share information about organ donation.
- Email your family. Some suggested language for a message is included below. Send Email Now! (yourfamilyandfriendsremovethisaddresscom?subject=My%20Decision%20to%20Be%20an%20Organ%20Donor&body=)
I’m writing to tell you that I have enrolled in the New York State Donate Life Registry for organ and tissue donation. This is important to me and I’d like you to know so that my decision is carried out. You can learn more about organ and tissue donation by exploring these websites: Finger Lakes Donor Recovery Network at http://www.donorrecovery.org and Donate Life America at http://www.Donatelife.net.
Add “Organ Donor” to Your Drivers License
When you receive your New York Drivers License or a non-driver ID, you may request to have the words “Organ Donor” and the organ donor heart symbol displayed. While taking this step is important, the information on your drivers license is not connected with the New York Donate Life Registry at this time. We encourage you to sign up with both. Link to locate a local New York Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.
Complete a Healthcare Proxy or Living Will
The New York Health Care Proxy Law allows you to appoint someone you trust – for example, a family member or close friend – to make health care decisions for you if you lose the ability to make decisions yourself. In the healthcare proxy, you may state your wishes regarding organ and tissue donation. You may also complete a Living Will document that clearly spells about your donation decision. Sometimes these documents are prepared with the help of doctor or attorney. Download a healthcare proxy or living will document below.