Organ Donation and Transplant Statistics
How many people are waiting for organ transplants? Get the facts…plus the number of donors and organs transplanted in our area.
- Organ Donors Save More Lives in 2016
Eighteen of the 50 individuals who gave the gift of life had documented their wish to be an organ donor, many of them having signed up through the New York State Donate Life Registry.
2016 ANNUAL UPDATE
Organ Donation & Transplantation Report
|ORGAN DONATION OUTCOMES||2014||2015||2016|
|Regional Organ Donors||40||50||50|
|Percent of organ donors who had documented their wish to donate||28%||29%||41%|
|Total Organ Transplants||165||210||270|
|Regional organs recovered for transplant||108||137||147|
|Out-of-region organs recovered for transplant at Strong Memorial or SUNY Upstate||57||73||123|
|Total Patients No Longer on a Waiting List Because They Received a Transplant||150||194||237|
Organ Donor Registry Report
Enrollments Soar in Finger Lakes Donor Recovery Network Region
- 62,851 people from our region joined the New York State Donate Life Registry in 2016
- Over 22,000 more registrations were received in 2016 than in each of the previous two year
|Donor Registry Enrollment Rates
As of January 1, 2017. New York averages based on 2014 Census estimate of population age 18 or older
|Finger Lakes Donor Recovery Network||
|New York State Average||
About Finger Lakes Donor Recovery
- Finger Lakes Donor Recovery Network’s Service Area: New York State’s Finger Lakes, Central and North Country regions.
- Transplant Centers in our Service Area: University of Rochester Medical Center/Strong Memorial Hospital and Upstate University Hospital/State University of New York (SUNY).
- The total number of people waiting for a life-saving transplant and listed at a regional transplant center is 677 as of February 3, 2017. On a statistically consistent basis, the average number of people waiting for organ transplants in our service area is just over 600.
Statistics Snapshot (as of February 3, 2017)
- Approximately 118,000 people are waiting for organ transplants in the U.S.
- The current shortage of donors means 22 people die each day in America waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
- Another person is added to the nation’s organ transplant waiting list every 10 minutes.
- In New York State, 9,916 people need organ transplants.
- In the Finger Lakes region, 677 people await their life-saving gift of a transplant.
- Within Finger Lakes Donor Recovery Network’s service area, 35.7 % of residents are registered organ donors.
- Statewide, 28.3 % of the population age 18 years or older in New York are registered organ donors.
- Nationally, 54% are registered organ donors.
- PASS LIFE ON! ONE organ donor can save up to EIGHT lives. Enroll in the New York State Donate Life Registry.
LAST YEAR, MORE THAN 33,600 ORGAN TRANSPLANTS WERE COORDINATED IN THE U.S.
Read more about national organ donation and transplantation trends by visiting the UNOS (United Network for Organ Sharing) website.