Organ Donation and Transplant Statistics
How many people are waiting for organ transplants? Get the facts…plus the number of donors and organs transplanted in our area.
[autonav display=”list,thumb,excerpt” orderby=”menu_order”]
Finger Lakes Donor Recovery Network assisted in coordinating more organ donations and life-saving transplants in 2018 than any other year in our organization’s 32-year history.
In total we helped to coordinate the transplantation of 306 organs, a 35 percent increase from 2017. These gifts of life have given 276 men, women and children a second chance. Some recipients received a simultaneous kidney and pancreas or double lung transplant.
Most of our recipients had been waiting for a kidney, liver, pancreas or heart transplant at UR Medicine’s Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, or a kidney or pancreas transplant at Upstate Medical University Hospital in Syracuse. The additional recipients were patients at other transplant centers in New York State and around the country.
These transplants were only possible thanks to the generosity of 58 organ donors and their families within our Finger Lakes Donor Recovery Network service area, as well as from outside the region, who chose to pass life on. This reflects the highest number of donors from the area in recent years. An unprecedented 58 percent of the donors had either joined an organ donor registry or provided their consent to donate in another legal document.
Special thanks goes to our hospital and transplant center partners, community supporters, volunteers, donation colleagues and dedicated staff for helping to bridge these gifts of life.
2018 was the sixth consecutive record-breaking year in the U.S. in the number of life-saving transplants – with more than 36,500 performed.
Read more about national organ donation and transplantation trends by visiting the UNOS (United Network for Organ Sharing) website.
Statistics Snapshot (as of January 7, 2019)
- Approximately 115,000 people are waiting for organ transplants in the U.S.
- The current shortage of donors means 20 people die each day in America waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
- Another person is added to the nation’s organ transplant waiting list every 10 minutes.
- In New York State, 9,465 people need organ transplants.
- In the Finger Lakes region, 799 people await their life-saving gift of a transplant.
- Within Finger Lakes Donor Recovery Network’s service area, 46 % of residents are registered organ donors.
- Statewide, 35 % of the population age 16 years or older in New York are registered organ donors.
- Nationally, 58% are registered organ donors.
- PASS LIFE ON! ONE organ donor can save up to EIGHT lives. Enroll in the New York State Donate Life Registry.