Organ Donation and Organ Transplant Stories
Here are the stories of loss and hope, pain and joy and acts of selflessness — the emotions and experiences that are at the heart of organ donation and transplantation.
- VIDEO: New Finger Lakes Advertising Campaign - "Pass Life On"
"Pass Life On" is a new advertising campaign to promote organ donation registration in the Finger Lakes region of New York. The campaign features beautiful scenes and actions that coincide with a heartfelt address about “The Greatest Person Never Known.”
- Stories About Donation and Transplantation VIDEOS
How does donation and transplantation change lives? To find out, view these video testimonials --- Gift of Life stories from families of donors, transplant recipients and healthcare professionals.
- Surrounded by Dignity and Respect, Our Daughter, Heather, Gave the Gift of Life
Despite having to struggle with diabetes since she was 18 months old, Heather Semans was a fighter. Described by her family as being "a butterfly who lived freely," 36-year-old Heather saved a stranger's life in January 2015 by donating her liver.
- Heart Transplants Lead to Romance and a Partnership Commitment
Esther FitzRandolph and Danny Pszczolkowski received life-saving transplants and found love. On Nov. 29, 2014, they walked down the aisle and participated in a commitment ceremony at Strong Memorial Hospital.
- Anonymous Donor Initiates Upstate's First-Ever FOUR-PERSON Kidney Donor Chain
Sometimes, an act of generosity can have far-reaching consequences. That’s certainly the case when a young man, who lives in the Syracuse area and who prefers to remain anonymous, donated a kidney to a stranger. It led to a Paired Kidney Exchange.
- After WAITING FOR 10 MONTHS, Fred Gets a New Heart
Fred Knewstub once ran five marathons, several half-marathons and in other endurance runs. Then, when he felt "something like a butterfly" and light headed, he heard the alarming news: He had serious cardiomyopathy causing congestive heart failure.
- Lisa’s Long Battle for a New Heart
How many recipients can tell the story that while awaiting a heart transplant they were given a hospital “half-day pass” to attend a daughter's wedding ceremony? Incredibly, that’s precisely what happened to Lisa Abbey.
- GIFT OF LIFE STORIES - Transplant Games 2014
Team Finger Lakes participated in the 2014 Donate Life Transplant Games of America from July 11 - 15 in Houston, Texas. Here are 17 Gift of Life stories...each one represents a transplant recipient, donor family member or living donor from the Finger Lakes team.
- How Ali Received a New Liver --- and How Her Grandmother Christine Would Be a Liver Donor and Honored at the Rose Parade
Molly deRoos's daughter Ali received a liver transplant at age 11. Six years later, the family would be presented with the option of giving back: Christine Springer, Molly's mother and Ali's grandmother, became a liver donor. Subsequently, Christine was honored at the 2014 Rose Parade.
- Kathy’s New Kidney Is 68 Years Old—13 Years Older than Her!
In 1981, when Kathy Reimer went into kidney failure, Virginia Grile, a sister 13 years older than her didn't hesitate to donate one of her kidneys. Decades later, Kathy is in perfect health, married and the mom of a 22-year-old son.
- “Third Time Lucky” Saves Herb’s Life
An act of kindness uncovers shocking news for Herbert Bond Jr.: He’s been walking around with hepatitis C, probably for several years. So begins a struggle to get a life-saving liver transplant.
- Liver Recipient Richard Perez Celebrates Life, Rides on the Donate Life Float at the Rose Parade -- and Gives Back
"I feel wonderful! My life has changed in ways I cannot explain and every day I’m so thankful to my donor and their family. "
- Nonie’s Last Minute Reprieve—a Liver Transplant
First, in late October 2012, a warning that without a transplant her future was bleak. And then, a miracle soon after Thanksgiving.
- Katie’s Star Shines Bright
A vibrant and energetic woman loses her life, but her memory lives on through organ donation and a fund to help transplant families.