Organ Donation and Organ Transplant Stories
Here are the stories of loss and hope, pain and joy and acts of selflessness — the emotions and experiences that are at the heart of organ donation and transplantation.
- VIDEOS: Voices for Organ, Eye and Tissue Donation
Testimonials from families of donors, transplant recipients and healthcare professionals about the importance of organ donation.
- "Drake, Our 4-Year-Old, Gave His Kidneys and Became a Miracle for Others"
My name is Jaime Erskine-Pettit. I am a Physician Assistant and have worked at the emergency department of Strong Memorial Hospital for about 10 years. I am married to a wonderful husband, Brian, and have been blessed with four beautiful children. At the time of the accident Trevor was seven, Delaney was five, Drake was four, and Tiernan was two.
- How Ali Received a New Liver --- and How Her Grandmother Christine Would Be a Liver Donor and Honored at the Rose Parade
Molly deRoos' daughter Ali received a liver transplant at age 11. Six years later the family would be presented with the option of giving back: Christine Springer, Molly's mother and Ali's grandmother, became a liver donor. Christine was honored at the 2014 Rose Parade.
- Liver Recipient Richard Perez Celebrates Life, Rides on the Donate Life Float at the Rose Parade -- and Gives Back
"I feel wonderful! My life has changed in ways I cannot explain and every day I’m so thankful to my donor and their family. "
- “Third Time Lucky” Saves Herb’s Life
An act of kindness uncovers shocking news for Herbert Bond Jr.: He’s been walking around with hepatitis C, probably for several years. So begins a struggle to get a life-saving liver transplant.
- Nonie’s Last Minute Reprieve—a Liver Transplant
First, in late October 2012, a warning that without a transplant her future was bleak. And then, a miracle soon after Thanksgiving.
- Katie’s Star Shines Bright
A vibrant and energetic woman loses her life, but her memory lives on through organ donation and a fund to help transplant families.