Organ Donation and Organ Transplant Stories
Here are Gift of Life Stories. These are the stories of loss and hope, pain and joy and acts of selflessness — the emotions and experiences that are at the heart of organ donation and transplantation.
- Katie’s Star Shines Bright
A vibrant and energetic woman loses her life, but her memory lives on through organ donation and a fund to help transplant families.
- VIDEO: New Finger Lakes Advertising Campaign - "Pass Life On"
"Pass Life On" is a new advertising campaign to promote organ donation registration in the Finger Lakes region of New York. The campaign features beautiful scenes and actions that coincide with a heartfelt address about “The Greatest Person Never Known.”
- A Gift of Life Unites Two Families in Heart and Song
The remarkable story of how the Campbells, of Horseheads, New York, and the Scadlocks of Iowa will forever be connected through the gift of life and a song.
- VIDEOS: Stories About Donation and Transplantation
How does donation and transplantation change lives? To find out, view these video testimonials --- Gift of Life stories from families of donors, transplant recipients and healthcare professionals.
- Heart Recipient Scott Hetsko Is LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST
After struggling for six years with a heart condition and being hospitalized for three months, the popular News 8 Rochester meteorologist is grateful every day for his donor who gave him a second chance. Scott and the entire team at News 8 are now enthusiastically encouraging more people to enroll in the New York State Donate Life Registry.
- Surrounded by Dignity and Respect, Our Daughter, Heather, Gave the Gift of Life
Despite having to struggle with diabetes since she was 18 months old, Heather Semans was a fighter. Described by her family as being "a butterfly who lived freely," 36-year-old Heather saved a stranger's life in January 2015 by donating her liver.
- Heart Transplants Lead to Romance and a Partnership Commitment
Esther FitzRandolph and Danny Pszczolkowski received life-saving transplants and found love. On Nov. 29, 2014, they walked down the aisle and participated in a commitment ceremony at Strong Memorial Hospital.
- Anonymous Donor Initiates Upstate's First-Ever FOUR-PERSON Kidney Donor Chain
Sometimes, an act of generosity can have far-reaching consequences. That’s certainly the case when a young man, who lives in the Syracuse area and who prefers to remain anonymous, donated a kidney to a stranger. It led to a Paired Kidney Exchange.
- Lisa’s Long Battle for a New Heart
How many recipients can tell the story that while awaiting a heart transplant they were given a hospital “half-day pass” to attend a daughter's wedding ceremony? Incredibly, that’s precisely what happened to Lisa Abbey.
- After WAITING FOR 10 MONTHS, Fred Gets a New Heart
Fred Knewstub once ran five marathons, several half-marathons and in other endurance runs. Then, when he felt "something like a butterfly" and light headed, he heard the alarming news: He had serious cardiomyopathy causing congestive heart failure.
- How Ali Received a New Liver --- and How Her Grandmother Christine Would Be a Liver Donor and Honored at the Rose Parade
Molly deRoos's daughter Ali received a liver transplant at age 11. Six years later, the family would be presented with the option of giving back: Christine Springer, Molly's mother and Ali's grandmother, became a liver donor. Subsequently, Christine was honored at the 2014 Rose Parade.
- Kathy’s New Kidney Is 68 Years Old—13 Years Older than Her!
In 1981, when Kathy Reimer went into kidney failure, Virginia Grile, a sister 13 years older than her didn't hesitate to donate one of her kidneys. Decades later, Kathy is in perfect health, married and the mom of a 22-year-old son.
- Liver Recipient Richard Perez Celebrates Life, Rides on the Donate Life Float at the Rose Parade -- and Gives Back
"I feel wonderful! My life has changed in ways I cannot explain and every day I’m so thankful to my donor and their family. "
- “Third Time Lucky” Saves Herb’s Life
An act of kindness uncovers shocking news for Herbert Bond Jr.: He’s been walking around with hepatitis C, probably for several years. So begins a struggle to get a life-saving liver transplant.
- Nonie’s Last Minute Reprieve—a Liver Transplant
First, in late October 2012, a warning that without a transplant her future was bleak. And then, a miracle soon after Thanksgiving.