Organ Donation and Organ Transplant Stories
Here are the stories of loss and hope, pain and joy and acts of selflessness — the emotions and experiences that are at the heart of organ donation and transplantation.
- VIDEOS: Voices for Organ, Eye and Tissue Donation
Testimonials from families of donors, transplant recipients and healthcare professionals about the importance of organ donation.
- In Rochester, Heart Transplants Save Lives, Lead to ROMANCE!
Esther FitzRandolph and Danny Pszczolkowski receive life-saving transplants and find love at University of Rochester Medical Center/Strong Memorial Hospital. Next? a commitment ceremony at the hospital.
- Lisa’s Long Battle for a New Heart
How many recipients can tell the story that while awaiting a heart transplant they were given a hospital “half-day pass” to attend a daughter's wedding ceremony? Incredibly, that’s precisely what happened to Lisa Abbey.
- GIFT OF LIFE STORIES - Transplant Games 2014
Team Finger Lakes participated in the 2014 Donate Life Transplant Games of America from July 11 - 15 in Houston, Texas. Here are 17 Gift of Life stories...each one represents a transplant recipient, donor family member or living donor from the Finger Lakes team.
- How Ali Received a New Liver --- and How Her Grandmother Christine Would Be a Liver Donor and Honored at the Rose Parade
Molly deRoos' daughter Ali received a liver transplant at age 11. Six years later the family would be presented with the option of giving back: Christine Springer, Molly's mother and Ali's grandmother, became a liver donor. Christine was honored at the 2014 Rose Parade.
- Kathy’s New Kidney Is 68 Years Old—13 Years Older than Her!
In 1981, when Kathy Reimer went into kidney failure, Virginia Grile, a sister 13 years older than her didn't hesitate to donate one of her kidneys. Decades later, Kathy is in perfect health, married and the mom of a 22-year-old son.
- “Third Time Lucky” Saves Herb’s Life
An act of kindness uncovers shocking news for Herbert Bond Jr.: He’s been walking around with hepatitis C, probably for several years. So begins a struggle to get a life-saving liver transplant.
- Liver Recipient Richard Perez Celebrates Life, Rides on the Donate Life Float at the Rose Parade -- and Gives Back
"I feel wonderful! My life has changed in ways I cannot explain and every day I’m so thankful to my donor and their family. "
- Nonie’s Last Minute Reprieve—a Liver Transplant
First, in late October 2012, a warning that without a transplant her future was bleak. And then, a miracle soon after Thanksgiving.
- Katie’s Star Shines Bright
A vibrant and energetic woman loses her life, but her memory lives on through organ donation and a fund to help transplant families.